Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Basketball Tryouts 1/25/2016

The town of Nagarote, I am told has about 25,000 people.  I think it is the 13th or 14th biggest town/city in Nicaragua.  I am told there is only one other white person from America living here.  A lady from the Jehovah Witness Church.  They also dress up in suits and go door to door here as well.

So if anyone speaks a little bit of English, they come up to talk to us.  It is a great way to meet people and tell them about our church here and share about the Lord.

The other day I was at the deli(pulperia) recharging my phone and a guy who is from Nicaragua but lives a lot in the US, started talking with us.  He just arrived that morning and is here for a couple of months.  He runs a basketball league here in Nagarote.  He helps fix up the basketball court here, and helps to provide the youth with proper sneakers. 

There is also an actual adult league here.  Different towns play each other.  He is a coach of one of teams.  He told me his team is the best and they are a dynasty.  In the next couple of weeks they are going to start practicing.  I told him I would love to play, but he told me I probably wouldn't be good enough to be on his team.  I tried to tell him I play a lot and could help out his team.  He said he would give me a tryout.  After talking a little more, he said I could be on a team from a church that needs a little help.
So I hope this week, I can pass the tryout for the basketball team.

I told our friends here about the basketball league.  They want to see me play and said I should be good because I am very tall.  I have never been called very tall in my life.  The daughter of our friends likes to play basketball and has tried to start a team at their high school, but they do not have anyone to coach them.  They told me most of the high schools here, have a basketball team and they play other towns.  In September, I'm going to probably coach their team.

God is good, even though I never prayed for the opportunity to play basketball here.  He knows the desires of our hearts and has opened a door for something I love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment